Survivor: Africa is the third season of Survivor. The season began when sixteen competing castaways, already divided into two tribes, Samburu and Boran, were abandoned in the heart of Africa. Samburu went on an early winning streak, claiming victory in the first three challenges and avoiding the first two Tribal Councils. Clarence caused a stir at the Boron camp on Day Three, when he was caught sharing a can of beans with Diane while the rest of the tribe were away. Boron subsequently went on a streak, winning the next two Immunity Challenges.
By Day Five, alliances were starting to form on both tribes. At Boran, Lex approached Ethan about forming a three-way alliance with him and Tom. Day Thirteen saw the biggest twist in the games history, when three members of Boron (Kelly, Lex and Tom) and three members of Samburu (Frank, Silas and Teresa) were forced to switch buffs and become permanent members of the opposite tribe.
On Day Twenty, the tribes merged into one tribe, which they named Moto Maji (Swahili for ‘fire’ and ‘water’). Teresa won the first Individual Immunity Challenge, and Clarence became the seventh person voted from the game. Lex was furious that someone in the tribe had voted for him and became determined to find out who the “snake” was. Teresa remained quiet about voting for Lex, who subsequently became convinced that it was Kelly who had voted for him. He persuaded Brandon to join his alliance with Ethan, Kim J. and Tom to vote out Kelly. Their plan went smoothly and Kelly became the eighth person voted out of the game and the first member of the Jury.
Lex’s relationship with Brandon caused Ethan and Tom to question his commitment to their alliance. Lex also exposed himself as a physical threat, going on to win the next four out of five challenges, including a Reward Challenge that saw him win a new car. The four original Boran members remained strong and no one could a way to split them up. The Final Four consisted of Ethan, Kim J., Lex and Tom. However, after Kim J. won the next Immunity Challenge, they were forced to vote against each other and Tom became the thirteenth person out of the game. Kim J. then went onto win the Final Immunity Challenge and choose to take Ethan with her to the Final Two; Lex consequently becoming the final member of the Jury.
At the Final Tribal Council, Ethan received five of a possible seven votes, earning him the title of Sole Survivor.
Ethan Zohn, Lex van den Berghe and Tom Buchanan would later return for Survivor: All-Stars.
Survivor Africa Trivia:
- This is the first season in which the winner was not decided by one vote.
- This was the first season to have a game-changing “twist”.
- During the finale, after Jeff collected the final votes, the producers made it appear as if he returned to the original Tribal Council site to read them. After he read them and announced Ethan Zohn was the winner, it was revealed that the votes were actually read live on the CBS soundstage made to look like the site. – This is the only season to use the trivia quiz tiebreaker.
- This is the only season to have its premiere in one year (2001) and its finale the next year (2002).
- This is the first season to be set in the African Continent.
- Ethan had no votes against him
- 27.3 million people tuned in to see Ethan Zohn win the $1 million prize. Ethan, the AP story reports, is done with pro soccer, but “wants to use some of his money to start a soccer league for inner-city children.”